Gamespy Shutting Down May 31St, 2014

Discussion in 'News' started by Wilson212, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Wilson212

Wilson212 Administrator Staff Member

Hey everyone, i thought i would take a moment and mention the fact that on May 31st this year, Gamespy will no longer support many of the older battlefield titles, including Battlefield 2.. (See Here: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/ ). What does this mean for BF2Statisitcs? Well, we already have a login emulator, and im pretty familiar with the Gamespy protocol. I will be follow the status of this shutdown very closing, and watch to see what EA does about it (have a look here: https://twitter.com/OriginInsider/status/453955565182783488 ).

If this shutdown breaks Battlefield 2, i will try my best to create a full blown Gamespy emulator that will get BF2 up and running again :)

2. MrNiceGuy

MrNiceGuy Founder Staff Member

What would happen to the ingame server-browser? How would we find servers? :-w

3. Wilson212

You wont be able to browse servers, or login with an online account... Your EA stats will also be gone :( ... BF2Statistics will be the ONLY way to play with stats after the shutdown... which can be good news :D ... we might get a surge of new users and activity here :D

4. MrNiceGuy

Lets hope so! I knew this would happen some day.

I have been thinking about converting away from e107, to xenforo or something... Maybe this will give me the excuse to do it. :)

5. sharok

sharok Member

If I may put it frankly : good riddance.

EA Games, since it first put its grimey paws on the BF franchise, has been nothing but a pain in the rear. Your efforts have been the sole reason my friends and I continued to play this game for five straight years.
    Now EA decides once again to go and screw everyone out of their money and you will be the sole bastion that allows us to continue to have fun with this top-notch title that, as far as gameplay is concerned, has yet to be beat.
    I stopped buying anything labelled EA after they retired my BF 2142 without justification. I have never been banned on any server, I do not cheat, do not employ bots of any kind, but I do tend to upgrade my PC rather frequently. They must have thought that I was some hacker or something because I was rather often reinstalling my BF games. One day, I simply could not reinstall. I contacted support and the response was that my license was no longer valid. Hello ? I bought it online in your own bloody store EA, how can it be invalid ? Since that day, I vowed I would never buy another EA Game ever.
    BF2 is a great, fast-paced shooter with everything one can want to do : tanks, planes and even warship action. I am awed by your efforts and want you to know that you are a cornerstone in my gaming enjoyment. Even if this last project does not pan out, I will not hold it against you. It is thanks to you that my group has been able to roam 64-player maps with 80 bots and mayhem everywhere.
    So, whatever happens, thanks for the good times. I look forward to being able to ensure further mayhem despite EA's despicable attitude.

MrNiceGuy and Wilson212 like this.
  6. Wilson212

Im glad we've been able to do that for you :D ... Dont worry, we arent going away anytime soon :p

7. xtagaming

xtagaming Member

Well Nice to Year that Bf2statistics will support Bf2 but there project going on revivebf2 http://www.revivebf2.com/ They are workign on that right now but the reals date its Unknown and EA DICE will continue supporting bf2 I think that what they said on Twitter .. Hope they .. lets have little faith !!

MrNiceGuy likes this.
  8. Wilson212

I am the lead programmer over there at Blue Entertainment for this project :)

MrNiceGuy and SharK like this.
  9. MrNiceGuy

And the right man for the job i believe! :D

Wilson212 likes this.
  10. MrNiceGuy

Happy to hear such a story! So glad that many got to enjoy the game to it's fullest because of this project! :)

Wilson212 likes this.